Monday, August 24, 2009

Back in the day...

Last week, my sister, cousin, and I went and spent a night at my grandparents' house like we would do when we were youngens. We thought it would be a fun thing to do before we all left for college. (We're actually all going to the same college, but whatever..) And while we were there, we made sure to do some of the things we used to do when we were kids.

You see, pretty much every other weekend, we would go spend Saturday night with my grandparents. My grandpa would come into town to get the three of us on Saturday afternoon, and we would head out to have fun times on the farm.

When we were young, we would ride our bikes up and down the long driveway. When we got older, we would ride the four-wheeler around. The three of us would pile up on there and off we would go, taking turns driving. Once when I was driving, I drove under a tree and the branch hit my sister in the face. This is when she spoke the now famous phrase, "Tears taste good."

My grandma would always fix a good dinner. It usually consisted of roast or some other meat and mashed potatoes made from potatoes from their garden. I think I could eat my weight in those mashed potatoes. While my grandma was fixing dinner, you could usually find my grandpa sitting in his chair, drinking a beer, watching Wheel of Fortune. Not even kidding.

After dinner, it was movie time. And what movie did we usually always watch? The Nightmare Before Christmas. My grandma spent $3 for this movie at a garage sale I'm pretty sure, and I think it was prolly the best $3 she ever spent. We definitely made sure to watch this last week.

During our movie watching, we would usually eat a bowl of ice cream. Nothing like filling us up with sugar before bed. Anyways, for some reason we liked to eat our ice cream when it was a little bit runny. Now, you can accomplish this one of two ways. Either you stir it up real good, or you just stick it in the microwave for a few seconds. Don't ask me why in God's name we would do this, because I don't have an answer for you.

I loved staying at my grandparents' house. Running around on the farm. Walking through the "jungle" (the corn in the garden). Getting up for church on Sunday morning and then going to my great-grandparents' house after. It was all just a really fun time that I will miss from my childhood.

Look at how cute we are.

No comments: