Friday, March 30, 2012

Funk.

Here lately I feel like I've been in quite the creative funk. Which, when your job requires you to be creative, really sucks a big one.  I haven't been doing anything artsy at home. I haven't been working on any fun projects. I just go home from work and veg out on the couch with Luna.

At work, I've been noticing that it's become harder for me to come up with good designs lately. For those who don't know, I work in a framing shop. I used to be pretty good about coming up with decent stuff. And then the other day I was just stumped when a lady brought in her cross-stitch to be framed. We ended up changing the mats after we ordered them because other colors looked better.

So at work today, I decided on a remedy that will hopefully get me out of this. I'm going to start doing like I did in college and put on the most random movie I own that I've seen a billion gillion times, and start creating things. I'm going to actually clear off my desk so I can set my easel up and start painting on this stack of canvases I own. I'm going to hang up the other stack of pictures that have been waiting to be hung on the wall. Most importantly, I'm going to create.

I started tonight when I came home from work. I've had an idea in my head for another one of my fabric weavings that I did for my senior art show. I still have a crapton of fabric left from that adventure (I slightly overestimated how much fabric I would need and bought about 50 yards of it. Barely ended up making a dent.) so I cut some off and started dying it today. It is hanging out in dye as I type this, actually. Hopefully I can get the other piece that I need dyed in the coming days and start working on that some more.

With any luck, this will do the trick. I need to get my creative juices flowing again. When I get a day off (who knows when that will be) I hope to make it down to the art museum and just sit and be surrounded by art. Become really inspired to create my own things.

And get out of this funk!

No comments: