Saturday, October 16, 2010

That time I got stitches from hide and seek.

On Sunday evenings, Taylor's family has a family dinner. This past Sunday, after everyone was finished eating, we played hide and seek. Don't worry, his 4 year old neice was the one to get the game started. As we were playing I was reminded of another hide and seek event. Let me share.

When I was a kid, I played outside a lot. One time, Abby (sister), another kid, and I were playing hide and seek. Now, there are a couple of ways people play hide and seek. We play it where there is a base and as soon as the seeker has finished counting and left base, you are free to leave your hiding place and run to base before they tag you.

Now, Abby and I were hiding inside the house while the other kid was outside on base (big tree) counting. When he finished his counting, he came into the house looking for us. Obviously, we went running outside. This is how it went down:
  • Abby ahead of me. Goes racing out door.
  • Me behind her, closely following.
  • Screen door comes swinging back.
  • I reach my hand out to push the door back open and continue running.
  • Hand and door keep going in their opposite directions, hand going through window.
  • Instant stopping of hide and seek race.
Seriously, I don't think I have ever seen my father jump up from his football watching quite as fast as he did that day. Since my dad was the only adult home, sister and friend had to go to the neighbor's next door while my dad took me to the ER.

After several x-rays, they discovered that I did not in fact have glass in my hand and that if I would have cut a centimeter deeper I would have hit a major artery. Goooood deal. Turns out, I did have to get a (1) stitch though. Baaaad deal. I hate needles. So much. My dad had to distract me by talking about the Royals game we were going to be attending soon.

So, this past Sunday when we were playing hide and seek, Taylor and I were hiding in the backyard, base in front yard. Then he suggests we just run through the house to get there faster.

And then I had flashbacks.

No comments: